Oscars' Report


This year's Oscar awards was a good one for one of my favorite Hollywood actors-Matthew McConaughey- (The Wedding Planner, Sahara, How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days) as he won the Best Actor Oscar for his dramatic and moving portrayal of Ron Woodroof in the biographical film THE DALLAS BUYERS CLUB about an AIDS patient who had to smuggle unapproved medication to curb his symptoms as well as of his fellow sufferers of the deadly disease. Since McConaughey lost about 47 pounds to play his role authentically (far more than I'm YET to do), topped with his brilliant acting, he really deserved this honor; I liked him especially as the  adventurous/humorous Dirk Pitt in SAHARA, so I'm saying a hearty congratulations to him.
I'm also happy that 12 YEARS A SLAVE earned a nomination for  Nigerian British actor Chiwetel Ejiofor, for his portrayal of Solomon Northup; who by the way really existed. He was a free slave who was kidnapped and sold into slavery and he spent several years away from his family until he was found. I didn't watch it but I did watch an earlier version of Solomon's story as a child, a 1984 television movie starring Avery Brooks - SOLOMON NORTHUP'S ODYSSEY. Ejiofor may not have won the Best Actor Oscar but he did win the BAFTA award so congratulations to him and the people behind the making of 12 YEARS A SLAVE too and let me not forget his co-star,  Lupita Nyong'o, who won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Patsey (and it was her acting debut!). If SOLOMON NORTHUP'S ODYSSEY could make me cry, I can imagine how tearful 12 YEARS A SLAVE must have been to the audience.





Other winners include.. .

FROZEN- Best Animated Picture

JARED LETO- Best Supporting Actor (The Dallas Buyers Club)

CATE BLACHETT- Best Actress in a Leading Role (Blue Jasmine)

GRAVITY-  Best Visual Effects

CATHERINE MARTIN - Best Costume (The Great Gastby)

Comments

Popular Posts