CARBO FAN FICTION- Return Journey: Chapter 9




Chapter 9


Victor sat in his study, waiting for Carly to arrive. He’d phoned her an hour ago, asking her to come by the house when she had the time; luckily she wasn't busy and agreed to come, to his relief. He had plenty to say to her and he hoped a lot of good will come out of it.


 He was truly ashamed of the whole business and for the fourth time wondered what Isabella would think of him and everybody else if she was alive right now. Carly had been her best friend and doctor and she’d thought the world of her; the more he looked back, the more it sunk in that Carly had really been mistreated.
‘All because that overgrown brat has to keep calling her own husband to heel!’ Victor muttered, tossing the newspaper he was reading away impatiently. Of course he couldn't voice that opinion to Maggie; she would never side with him- all the Hortons always seemed to have one objective, keeping their precious Hope in their protective cocoon besides finding excuses for her. Carly was far different from Hope; actually far different from all his ex –wives, not only because of her lineage or beauty but her personality and the way she always seemed to radiate energy and firmness in anything she did. Victor smiled ruefully at the memory of their short marriage. He’d tried so hard to help her forget Bo but his deceit caught up with him big time and he’d lost her forever. But they’d had their good times...

Carly’s green eyes danced with mischief. ‘I’ll give you a hint; it’s almost your birthday.’
‘My birthday?’
‘Mm hmm...’ she smiled widely. ‘And I want to throw the biggest, most elaborate party Salem has ever seen.’
‘Well...’ he chuckled, touched by her enthusiasm. ‘That’s very sweet of you but I don't want to make a big fuss about getting a year older.’
‘Come on... everybody wants a little attention on their birthday, no matter how much they deny it.’ She insisted, moving to the dressing table to pick up a hairbrush, running it through her hair.
‘You aren’t going to let me out of this, are you?’
‘Not on your life. It’s too important a day to just pass up without celebrating. Besides...’ she turned to look up at him. ‘I want to honour you, Victor. I want to thank you for being the kindest, most understanding man in the world and I want everyone to know how I feel.’
‘Everyone?’ he asked ruefully, knowing very well how Bo would react; considering the content of the letter he wrote to Carly, the letter she will never find out about. He felt no guilt about having the forger compose another letter; Bo had his chance and blew it, Carly belonged to him now and Bo will just have to choke on his loss after the shabby way he treated her.
‘I know people have their doubts about our marriage, despite what they say on the contrary but I think this would be a good opportunity to prove them wrong, show them we have something lasting and worthwhile.’
‘As long as you believe it, that’s all that matters to me.’
‘I believe it; I believe we have so much ahead of us.’ She suddenly blushed. ‘I know we haven’t... but I will be your wife soon, I promise you; in every way.’
Eat your heart out, boy... he gloated inwardly; smiling at her tenderly. ‘Can you spare an early birthday gift then?’
‘What’s that?’
 Leaning down, he planted a kiss on her rosebud mouth. Soon enough, maybe on the night of his birthday, he will plant kisses all over her soft, supple body and finally make love to her.   

‘Dr. Manning has arrived, sir.’ Henderson announced, sharply bringing him back to the present.
‘Thank you, show her in.’ To his surprise Carly was not alone; at her heels were Nicholas and his girlfriend.  ‘Nicky, hello.’  He greeted, turning to nod politely at Lynn. ‘I was expecting just Carly.’
 ‘You honestly didn't expect us to let her enter this house alone, did you?’ Lynn said sharply.  
‘Carly has nothing to fear from me.’
‘Like we’re going to take the word of a career criminal. What  exactly do you want from her, Kiriakis?’ Nicholas demanded, a ferocious scowl on his face, causing him to look like his late father more than ever.
‘Nicholas.’ His mother’s quiet, calm voice carried enough authority in it to shut him up but his scowl deepened. Victor smiled faintly at the expressions on the young couple’s faces. They were Carly’s family after all, why wouldn't they be protective of her? ‘Let me assure you, I have no bad intentions, I meant what I said about truce, especially given the recent events. I just want to talk, nothing more. I hope you believe that, Carly.’
Carly turned to Nicholas and Lynn. ‘Wait for me in the living room, I’ll be fine.’
Nicholas squeezed her shoulder and left the study with Lynn, after directing another glare at Victor. To Henderson who was still hovering at the doorway Victor instructed, ‘Serve Mr. Alamain and Miss Eddowes some coffee.’
‘Yes sir. Would you like a drink as well, Dr. Manning?’
‘No, Henderson but thanks.’ Carly looked at Victor squarely in the eye after Henderson closed the door. ‘So...what is this about?’ She sat on the antique leather couch. Victor  looked at her intently; remembering how he assured Hope she was better looking and more graceful than Carly, more to spite Carly behind her back. Now he felt like such a stupid, petty fool as he stared at the woman he was once married to; proudly beautiful, graceful and dignified, the epitome of the aristocratic lady she was. The recently tinted hair made her eyes look greener and considering everything she’s been through, completely composed.
‘Well, first off; to let you know that I really want us to let bygones be bygones- I meant every word.’
‘I was more than ready to start afresh, since Bo and I now have a child, it was you who preferred to hold on to your hatred. Which is weird, since you did a lot of unspeakable things to Bo and me, Isabella too.’ Carly said bluntly.
‘Isabella’s death made me think of a lot of things, I hurt her just as much as I hurt Bo but in the end she gave me another chance to be a better father to her, even though I didn't deserve it. Lord knows it took Bo a long time before he finally decided to let me be a part of his life like Shawn was. Shawn Brady was a good man and thanks to him, Bo is the man that he is today.’ Victor sighed heavily. ‘And the time you were together, he was very happy; you brought out the best in him, I admit that much.’
‘Three years isn't the same as twenty five years of marriage to a childhood love. And I really don't want to talk about Bo and me, it’s all in the past.’
‘He’s a huge part of your past, Carly; there’s no way we can avoid that subject.’
Carly shook her head, baffled. ‘Why are you talking to me about this? Why do you suddenly care? You weren't happy when Bo and I got back together when I came back to Salem, you certainly made that loud and clear!’
‘As his father, I didn't want his life more complicated than it already was and I honestly felt he and Hope would reconcile, like they always did; ignoring the fact that Hope caused half of the problems they had. And as your ex husband... all the resentment I didn't know I still had just came out in the open. It’s something I’ll always regret Carly, that and what went on years ago. I know more than anyone else just why Bo fell in love with you in the first place and the reasons are still there.’
Carly lowered her head. ‘Victor, please don't...’
‘Let me say this, Carly.’ Victor said forcibly. ‘It’s something you need to know; I am  not going to  justify my own behaviour; I just want  you to know how sorry I am; for everything I said to you and for the way I treated you. I can’t speak for everybody else but at least I can offer my own apology. It was uncalled for and you didn't deserve it at all; you were my daughter’s best friend and I can only imagine how she would feel if she was here to see it. If a woman is condemned just because she’s still a very beautiful person after all these years, then we’re very sick people, me included!’
Silence.
‘You’re not sick, nor is anybody else.’ Carly said at last. ‘It hurt, it hurt a lot... but I hold no grudge, mostly for Darcy’s sake.’
‘It’s not just for Darcy Carly, don't say that; it’s a part of you. You’re compassionate and generous; you still are. I’m sorry about everything and I’m really sorry things between you and my son didn't work out.’
Carly swallowed but kept her composure. This was the last thing she ever expected from Victor Kiriakis but she wasn't going to allow it to overwhelm her. ‘That’s alright, Victor. It wasn't meant to be and I’ve moved on  as much as I can. And... looking  back at what happened,  all your son  did was follow  his heart. It was painful but it was far better than letting  me live a lie. Two people who love each other as long as Bo  and Hope have should never fall apart, for any reason. They learn to accept each other’s faults and work things out and the connection will always be there. Jennifer warned me and I didn't listen, and I paid the price; big time.’
‘But you still have his child.’ Victor reminded her.
Carly smiled faintly. ‘Yeah, I’ll always have Darcy.’
‘I mean the baby you’re carrying.’
Carly paled,  opening her mouth to protest but Victor shook his head. ‘Don't bother denying it, Carly; we both know Bo’s the father.’   
‘That’s none of your business, or anybody else’s!’ she hissed, green eyes flashing.
‘Now, now Carly... don't get angry. I’m not trying to imply anything or make accusations.’ Victor placated immediately. Carly covered her face, mortified. Sighing, Victor walked over  to sit next to her on the couch. ‘Bo doesn't know it’s his, am I right?’
‘Alright, he doesn't know!’ Carly snapped, glaring at him. ‘And he will never know, Victor; if you tell him I will deny it!’
‘Why would you deny him his own child?’ Victor snapped back.
‘Just like you said, to avoid complicating his life... and mine! I won’t let this child come between him and Hope and I will not be accused of lord knows what again! You honestly think Bo will  allow anything to come between him and Hope again? To prevent a major battle , Bo can never know he’s the father of my baby and just  like I told your precious daughter in law, I’m leaving town after the baby comes. By then Daniel and Darcy would be married so I know she’ll be in safe hands.’
‘Daniel and Darcy?’
Carly nodded. ‘He loves her very much and don't worry; he already told me about Chelsea- he’s not going to blow it this time.’
‘Well, I’m not sure what Bo will say, but I’m very happy about it. My godson’s a fine young man.’ Smiling at the prospect of seeing another grandchild married and forcing back his overwhelming guilt, he added, ‘You’re seriously going to leave town again?’
‘I have to, for my own peace of mind and for the baby’s sake; even you have to understand that. For some reason, Hope is still threatened; you would think after she and Bo renewed their vows she would have nothing to worry about now.’
If only you knew, Carly... Victor thought. Hope had realised long  Carly was a far different woman than her and Billie and it irked her; especially since Carly didn't resort to tricks, wiles or tantrums to get Bo to fall in love with her all over again.
‘I do understand, strangely enough. But don't you think you’re being unfair to him all the  same?’
‘Sometimes we just have to make decisions that cause us a lot of pain. You think I was happy when I told him the baby wasn't his? You think I was happy he wasn't there in the delivery room with me when Darcy was born? You think it was easy for me to let the man I love go just like that and watching him embrace his true love so fast, like I never existed? This isn’t self pity or revenge Victor; it’s survival. I have to do this.’ Carly stared him down. ‘You will not betray me by telling Bo, understand? I will protect this baby with all I’ve got, even if I have to lie.’
‘And you don't nurse the possibility that maybe my son might still be in love in you?’
‘Oh my God...’ Carly laughed mirthlessly, shaking her head. ‘No “maybes”, no “perhaps”. It’s over and no, I don't nurse it. Bo is where he wants to be, period. The only thing that links us as far as he’s concerned is Darcy; nothing more.’
‘It’s one hell of a sacrifice.’ Moved, Victor reached out and took her hand. ‘But what else can one expect from you. I think you’re very brave, Carly. And I’m really  very sorry. Can you ever forgive this old fool, so late in our lives?’
Carly found herself smiling faintly and covering their clasped hands with her free hand. ‘Who knew this day would actually come? Of course, I forgive you. You old fool.’
Victor laughed and Carly laughed with him.
:::::::::
In the meantime...
‘What the hell do you think you’re doing with my daughter, Jonas? Just what?!’ Bo snarled, slamming Daniel  hard against the wall. It was a wonder he was able to keep his hands to himself after walking in on Daniel and Darcy; he was so very angry. After leaving Ciara with her sister, he’d called Daniel outside to talk, waiting until they got to his office before letting him have it. ‘You dirty bastard!’
‘The fuck’s wrong with you, Brady?! Get off me!’ Daniel pushed him off, glaring at him. ‘You...’ Bo’s voice shook with rage. ‘How dare you... my daughter!’
‘What the hell’s wrong with you? First you act like a jerk, telling me you could care less about Darcy and me, now you’re here playing the protective Daddy crap! Screw you, Bo; I don't have to explain myself to you, neither does Darcy!’
‘Yeah, and does Darcy know that you...’ Bo stopped, mind rapidly reversing. ‘What do mean I said I could care less?’
‘Remember, at the station?’ Daniel snapped, adjusting his shirt. ‘When I came over to talk about Darcy and you basically threw me out?’
‘Talk about Carly, you mean.’ Bo shouted back. ‘You think I don't know you’re the one who knocked her up?’
‘What?!’
‘Yeah, the jig is up. You’re not doing another round of double dealing, not while I’m around! You honestly think I would let you get away with seducing both Carly and my daughter?!’ Bo raged, hands balled into fists; more than ready to punch him out.
‘You’re certifiable, Bo Brady!’ Daniel said angrily.
‘Hey, everything okay in there? ‘ Nathan’s voice piped up from the other side of the door.
‘Move it along, Nathan!’ Bo snarled, eyes not leaving Daniel’s scowling face.
Startled, Nathan stepped away from the door, wondering why Daniel and Bo were yelling at each other; normally the two men got along very well.
‘Hey.’ Nathan turned to find Melanie at his elbow looking puzzled. ‘What’s going on in there?’ she whispered. ‘Who’s Daniel yelling at?’
‘Bo it sounds like, I have no idea what they are arguing about but they both sound really mad.’
‘What should we do,  go in there?’
‘Are you kidding? When Bo gets mad; everybody gets out of the way, and fast! I’m not going in there for anything, neither are you. Things could get ugly.’
‘Well, we can’t stand here and do nothing!’ Melanie argued, a panicked look on her face as the two men’s voices grew louder. ‘Where’s Carly, she can put a stop to this.’
‘She left a while ago with Nicky and Lynn; I don't know where she is.’ Nathan winced. ‘Just what the hell are those two arguing about?’
Melanie bit her lip worriedly, then grabbed her boyfriend’s arm. ‘I got it; I’ll get Darcy!’
‘You can’t drag her out of bed just like that, are you crazy?’ Nathan ran after as Melanie marched down the hall, towards her friend’s room. ‘She needs to rest!
‘She’ll tear my head off if Daniel gets beaten up and I didn't tell her about it.’ Melanie insisted, reaching the door and flinging it open, stopping short, Nathan almost bumping into her.
‘Who is that?’ Darcy asked. She was  sitting upright in bed, Ciara on her lap.
‘It’s Melanie and Nathan.’ Ciara replied, looking at them curiously.
‘Is something wrong? You rushed in here like there is a fire, what is it?’
Nathan glared at Melanie warningly. There was no way they could tell Darcy what was happening with Ciara there. ‘Umm.. nothing, nothing sweetie, we just thought we’d come by and sit with you for a bit.’ Darting a helpless look at Nathan, Melanie closed the door behind them, praying there won’t the sound of broken glass and thrown chairs.
‘Well, that is good; I actually wanted to talk to you both anyway. Where’s my mother? I have some wonderful news.’
‘She went out with Nicholas and Lynn.’ Nathan said.
Darcy frowned then shrugged. ‘Then the three of you will hear it first.’ She beamed. ‘Daniel has asked me to marry him.’
Melanie let out a cry of delight before running over  to hug her friend. ‘That’s so great!’ she exclaimed, squeezing Darcy hard. Ciara clapped her hands in delight, while Nathan smiled, leaning over to kiss Darcy on the cheek. ‘So great... congratulations! Show me the ring right now!’
‘No no my friend... it’s not on my finger now. I mean, Daniel wanted to give it to me but I want to regain my sight before he puts it on my finger; I want to see it... you understand, not just feel it on my finger.’
‘Oh, of course... that makes sense.’
‘And don't you worry, Darcy, in time you’ll get your wish.’ Nathan parted her shoulder. ‘In the meantime, we’re very happy for you.’
‘Yes we are!’ Ciara added, hugging her sister close.
Darcy smiled, more colour coming to her pale cheeks. ‘Thank you, I love Daniel so much and I’m so happy we’re going to be together forever. Melanie, will you  do me the honour of being my bridesmaid?’
‘Are you kidding? Yes... yes!’ Melanie cried, holding Darcy’s hand.
‘And you Môn petite; you must be my flower girl.’ Darcy stroked her excited little sister’s hair.
‘Yay! I’m going to be a flower girl!’ Ciara squealed, bouncing up and down the bed. Seeing Darcy wince made her stop; she hugged her again instead, kissing her on the cheek.  ‘What am I going to wear?’
‘Oh don't worry, I’ll chose the most beautiful dress for you; you will look so lovely and you will walk down the aisle first, in front of Melanie and me.’ Filled with joy, Ciara beamed widely.
‘Uh... Darcy.’ Nathan suddenly remembered, ‘Does your Dad know about this?’
‘No... but I suppose Maman will tell him, he and Daniel do not seem to get along these days for some reason.’
An understatement... Nathan thought,  exchanging a look with Melanie.
‘So you’re not the father?’ Bo demanded.
‘No, I am not!’ Daniel snapped. ‘And I’ve been dating Darcy, not Carly. Carly’s my friend, nothing more!’
Bo glared at him, still very angry even though he should feel relieved. ‘Then who’s the father?’
‘All I know is that it’s not you, she told me. Carly doesn't have to explain herself to you or anyone; you went back to your wife. At least Carly still has people looking out for her.’
 ‘Including you. You didn't waste time ingratiating yourself with another one of my daughters, huh doc?’
‘Is this about age again? Darcy’s older than Chelsea...’
‘Skip that! I’m not talking about age, I’m talking about your track record; I won’t let  you toy  with Darcy’s emotions- she’s more vulnerable  than her sister! You say you are in love, then you move on to another woman.’
‘Which is exactly what you did.’ Daniel taunted. A punch on the jaw almost sent him sprawling on the floor but he kept his balance.
‘You keep your paws off  my daughter from now on.’ Bo hissed, his eyes wearing a dangerous glint.
‘We’re in love and we are going to get married, with or without your blessing.’ Daniel said defiantly, rubbing his sore jaw.  
‘In love, yeah right... how long did it take before you managed to break Chelsea’s heart? You think I’m going to let you do the same to Darcy?’
‘At least I know what I want; a life time with Darcy and  I will have it, because I love her more than life itself and she loves me! Carly loved you but what did you do ; you strung her along and you were too much of a coward to tell her you were still in love with Hope! If I wasn't so anxious not to upset Darcy and Carly, I swear I would’ve taken a swing at you! So don't you act all sanctimonious with me. With what you did to Carly, you’re far less than I am. And I don't need your permission, I am going to marry that girl whether you like it or not.’ Glaring at him, Daniel opened the door and slammed it shut behind him.
So Hope was right, Bo thought but it didn't make him feel happy; he hadn't approved of Chelsea dating Daniel, he definitely didn't approve of the idea Darcy marrying Daniel. He needed to talk to Carly. About Daniel and Darcy but also about the baby she was carrying. He needed to know who the father was, once and for all.   

Comments by ZingerBug.com

Comments

Popular Posts