MOTHER'S DAY: ME AND MUM




It's Mother's Day here in Nigeria today and I think over my relationship with my Mum. I'm my mother's first child and only daughter; after me came two sons. Mum has always been overprotective with me especially; it would appear touching but as a woman of 33 now, I find it exasperating and  rather annoying. But that's the thing; even when you leave your childhood behind, you  remain your Mum's child for the rest of your life. 
Mum and I have had our share of friction and  closeness over the years, mostly because we think differently and have different preferences. These days I try to be more assertive since I'm not a teenager anymore but it's not all that easy since I live in a society where sassing your elders is considered as something  just not done. Some daughters are their mother's best friends, some are like their sisters/mother and child. I love my Mum and I know she loves me as well but the only way I can define our relationship would be  enduring
Even though she's looked after me all through my childhood till now, there is still something missing between us; which is real communication where I can tell her just about anything. And there is the feeling of not being the sort of daughter that she wants because so far, I don't think I've really done anything to make her proud. 
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching about her, Lord no! She's carried a lot of burden on her shoulders over the years; mostly for us kids and we three hope that in time we'll be able to repay her for it. And we also hope that we'll achieve something huge and be a real credit to her.
Mothers don't always share our interests, personalities and opinions but real mothers be there for the children. And a mother's love is constant and forever. Which is the type of love my mum has for us three. 

Comments

Popular Posts