Wednesday, April 15, 2015

NEWSLETTER: SUVUDU: From the Desk of John Birmingham, Final Cage Match, and more.

SUVUDU: Science Fiction and Fantasy Can't See the Images? View as a Webpage

Logo Facebook Facebook

In This Issue:
From the Desk of John Birmingham | Naomi Novik on her new novel Uprooted | Cage Match 2015: Women Warriors Final Match | 50 Page Fridays Recap


Clash of Eagles
From the Desk of
John Birmingham

Dear Readers,
The first book I ever bought with my own money was The Stand by Stephen King. Or simply da King, as I like to think of him now. I don't exactly recall how old I was. Let's just agree that at some time in the long, slow summer of my late childhood I had saved enough coins from pocket money and extra chores that I was able to set out on this adventure.
I do recall walking the half hour into town on my own. Kids could do that in those days. I wandered down from the limestone hill where we lived, through the park, stopping to say hello to the kangaroos which lived there – you could do that in those days too. The coins jingled in my pocket and the sun burned the back of my neck.
There was a bookstore in town – Brodie's Books – and I was familiar with it from the start of each school year, when every kid in my town would troop in there, hangdog and sullen with anticipation of another eternity of math and grammar and geography and dead kings and whatever and ever Amen. Mister Brodie – God rest him – was a man who believed in the improving power of literature, and that small part of this store not given over to school texts and stationary, was reserved for the Canon of western literature. (For the longest time I thought there was an actual cannon, a giant wordy howitzer, with Shakespeare and Wordsworth and bunch of other helmeted writers working on the gun crew. You can imagine my disappointment to learn otherwise.)
I would not be darkening Mr Brodie's door, I already knew...
Read the rest of John's letter >>


Naomi Novik on New Novel Uprooted
Author Naomi Novik stopped by the University Bookstore to answer questions and talk about her forthcoming novel, Uprooted.
Available May 19th, Uprooted is a wonderful story loosely based on a number of fairy tales from Eastern Europe, stories that Naomi's family used to tell her when she was a child. Naomi accepted questions about Uprooted as well as updated her readers about her progress on the last Temeraire novel, League of Dragons!
Watch Naomi's talk >>


Cage Match 2015: Women Warriors Final Battle!
Cage Match 2015
The Suvudu Cage Match 2015 is down to the finals. Felurian vs Death. Who will emerge victorious?
Vote for your favorite and follow the action >>


50 Page Fridays Recap
Each week we're giving away the first 50 pages of an awesome Del Rey or Spectra book – for FREE!  Check out the titles we've premiered in the last month:

The Skull Throne
Lords of the Sith
by Paul S. Kemp

Clash of Eagles
Foundation
by Isaac Asimov

Altered Carbon
A Game of Thrones
by George R.R. Martin

SUVUDU Universe

Suvudu Universe

Are you a writer looking for more exposure for your blog or website? Or trying to find a platform to amplify your voice on all things SFF? Join the Suvudu Universe. You can hook up your existing site's RSS feed, create a new blog just for us, or contribute straight through our dashboard.



To subscribe to this or other Random House newsletters, click here.

Copyright © 2015 Penguin Random House LLC, 1745 Broadway, New York, NY 10019.
All rights reserved | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment!